Friday Night Dates (Not What You Think)

The girls and I went out for a celebratory dinner tonight.

Side note - Cooking for 3 has been a hard thing to learn. I tend to cook 2-3 meals a week and force us to eat all of the leftovers (and still throw out food). It will be nice when Logan comes home so that I can cook a meal that actually gets eaten.

Anyway, we were celebrating the fact that I completed my first paying consulting gig, I have another small one lined up for next week, as well as a part time waitressing gig, and an interview for a full time job. (To be clear - I was celebrating. The girls are mortified that I'll be waitressing. "What if one of my friends recognize you?") Ah... teenagers. They haven't been humbled by real life yet.

I have to admit, it was a pretty fun night. Ceci has a date (more on that later) and Eve was heading out to a football game, so it was nice to sit and hang out for a bit without chores or responsibilities to argue about before the night began.

As I sat with them listening to them talk about their perceptions I couldn't help but to remember, "little accelerated versions of myself." It's so true. I can remember so clearly what it felt like to be 15. I'm so glad that I have these opportunities to learn about my girls and talk with them (even if they act like they don't care), because they are very much like me.

Example - we were sitting outside and I was watching as people approached the restaurant. A young man started walking up and I wondered (to myself) if Ceci thought he was attractive. Moments later he was sat at the table next to us. As he was sat, he mentioned to the hostess that it was possible that he was being "stood up."

Out loud, and without precaution, Ceci says,  "That's unfortunate!" In a very flirty and affectionate way.

I just stared at her wide eyed like, 'Easy now. He might hear you!'

As we left I asked if she thought he was attractive. If she did, she didn't let it be known. However, she did tell me that he was old enough for her pick up line. Are you ready for this?

Ceci - Hey!
Cute (obviously older) boy - Hi.
Ceci - How old are you?
Boy - 18
Ceci - Thats okay. Age is just a number. So, can I get yours?

Seriously. This is something she apparently came up with on her own. God, help me. She's even bolder than I am.

So this leads to the next conversation... about the date.

The older, cute, obviously wealthy boy that Ceci has been crushing on is FINALLY able to take her out tonight. It's really happening. Tonight. And it's quite possible that I'm more nervous than she is. Why? Because I've insisted, INSISTED, that he come to the door to get her. You would not believe the length of time Ceci and I argued about this - for an entire Harris Teeter run (also please note that our young, gentleman cashier agreed with me).

But that's happening. Any second now. He is going to knock on our door and I'm going to have to do the whole,  "Hi. How are you? It's nice to meet you. Have fun. Be home by midnight" conversation. Oh boy. Isn't this why teenaged girls have scary fathers?

Ugh...

So, Eve is at a football game. Ceci is heading out with "OCOWB". And I'm home. Alone.

Happy Friday!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Old Friend

Eventually. Occasionally. Always. Thankfully. Forever.

Stalkers - Start Reading Here