My Song is Not a Dying Dream

About 6 months ago I started using the hashtag #MySelfProclaimedMidLifeCrisis. Well today, I'm going to start using another hashtag #LivingTheDream.

I used to have a coworker who, whenever you'd ask him, "How's it going," he'd respond with, "Living the dream."' I wondered what he meant by that and I expected that it was sarcasm - as that was his way.

However, my hashtag is not in any way sarcastic. It is real and it is honest.

I don't know if my readers know this, but most of the time when I'm writing, I'm also listening to music. A lot of times I'm inspired by a single line of a song, or sometimes several songs that just appear on my playlist. My post called "Lost in the Fire" was inspired by the Bastille song titled "Things We Lost in the Fire" (take a listen if you haven't - the entire album is amazing).

Well, this hashtag and subsequent post has been inspired by The Lone Bellow's "Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold." (Sidebar - I love this band, and if you haven't listened to them, please take a minute of your time. It will change your life.)

This song, even though it is very minimal in lyrics, says so much to me. Essentially, it's a song about the hardships of living the dream. The song's chorus ends with "The money's gone and the house is cold, but it's alright, it's alright." Yeah. It IS alright.

Because, here's the thing about dreams - they don't just happen. It's not like you just wake up one day and all of your dreams have come true, like you've won the dream lottery. No. Dreams come true after a lot of hard work. A lot of sacrifice. A lot of pain. And a lot of failure.

So, I'm going to go down the path to live my dream.

I've started a job with a wonderful company that does a lot of good work (and I'm so excited to support that) and I've committed to moving to Charlotte, NC. I remember having dreams as a young girl about living in NC. I don't know why. I can't even make sense of what that would have meant to me as a child, but I'm going with it.

And this is just the beginning. There are so many things I want out of this life and I'm going to go do them.

And as the song says, my "wide-eyed ways may look like a wreck where [I'm] from." Because I expect that it's going to get messy. But as I've learned about myself lately (as I've been meeting new people and talking about my life), my life is already messy. Very. Messy. So, if it's going to be messy, it might as well be going in a direction that allows me to follow my dreams.

So, here goes. "One crash at a time. oh, One crash at a time, yeah."

#LivingTheDream

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Old Friend

Eventually. Occasionally. Always. Thankfully. Forever.

Stalkers - Start Reading Here