Dear Vance Joy

Dear Vance Joy,

I would really appreciate it if you would stop writing songs about my life. I'm aware that I've given you, Adele, and everyone else in the music industry some good material. But seriously? It's become nearly impossible for me to turn on my own Pandora station without having to be reminded of the stories my life while I listen to you sing them with such sad and sorrowful words.

I tried to switch to a Coldplay station, an X Ambassadors station, a Wye Oak station... same thing. Then I switched to a totally unrelated "Indy Dance Radio" station. This is when I started realizing that there was some kind of conspiracy happening.

Have you all been sitting around, drinking coffee and watching me? Do you guys consult on the phone after reading my blog? Do you have access to my phone records and photos? My calendar? What is going on?

But I feel guilty and pathetic about what you know and I feel like I should explain myself for a bit. So here goes -

I know I made a mess, and I'm aware that it is a mess that we share together, especially since we were the closest of friends and shared everything. But I hung on way too long... and then I let go. He can take his part of the mess, and I will suffer under the weight of my part. No matter how much sense it makes for us to share it together, it simply is not an option. So stop. Just stop reminding me that we made this mess together, willingly.

I mean, really, how many times did we tell each other that "this is not the way friends behave?" So, this "willing fool" will continue to do what I should have done in the first place? I will just love him from afar... no matter how much I starve living off the "crumbs of his love"

It's crazy, I can't tell you how many times he asked me why I wasted all my time on him. He found little value in himself, and all I saw was wonderful. I couldn't help but to smile when I looked at him. I felt alive when I was with him. And I could feel that he felt the same way. We changed ALL of our plans - just to be together. Until we weren't.

And then I was there. Left alone, in our space. I was used to having him around. I just started looking for him - everywhere. It was an emergency, a disaster, like the fire and the flood, It was - I felt him in my blood. That is why I had to leave. I couldn't keep looking for him. I left. So, I went miles away. But I still feel him... Late at night while I try to sleep.

Because for the first time, I had felt something so deep. So deep and so painful. Nothing has ever hurt like this. I am so desperate just to hear him say my name. Like he did that summer night...

I never shoulda told him. I never should have let him see inside. I don't want it troubling his mind. And I could easily lose my mind. Because I never understood what was at stake. And now he's finally gone and I worked it out.

You see, no matter what anyone else thinks of me or that situation, I remind myself that we all die trying to do the right thing. I realize that I'm not in control. I accept that I will never do right all of the time. I had found a place that I could be myself and I was aiming high to be the person I thought I could be. And even though that didn't happen I will still try. Even though I've fallen. Even after what I've done. Even without him. I will continue to try to do the right thing. Trying to get it right. I will aim true.

So, here's the thing - I'm considering hiring a private investigator, merely for my own safety. I find you very cute and at sometimes flattering. But if you continue to stalk me and then write about the pathetic life you see, I'm going to look for ways to get a restraining order. Vance, you are very cute. And I DO NOT want to have to do that. So, can you go peak into someone else's window for a while? Can you find someone else's troubles to write about and give me a break?

Please???

Oh, and spread the word. Adele is a little intimidating, so I fear writing to her (I've heard she's got good lawyers and I simply don't want to feel the wrath of Britain). And Taylor Swift - yeah - even worse than the wrath of Britain is the rage of all of America's teenaged girls. So, just let your friends know that this is not appreciated. Find someone else to pick on!

Thanks!

p.s. I really do love your album.
p.p.s. I hope you get tons of airplay
p.p.p.s. Sorry if I change the station when you come on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Old Friend

Eventually. Occasionally. Always. Thankfully. Forever.

Stalkers - Start Reading Here